OpenFirmware and Linux v5.0 on XO-1.75

Lubomir Rintel lkundrak at v3.sk
Fri Apr 19 02:58:15 EDT 2019

On Mon, 2019-02-25 at 20:00 +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 06:06:56PM +0100, Lubomir Rintel wrote:
> > >
> > > The config used by Fedora.
> > >
> > > Can we work toward some kind of reproducible build?
> >
> > Not sure what you mean here.
>
> Sorry.  Configuring and building kernels is for me a rare thing to do,
> and whenever I try I'm usually interrupted by something more urgent,
> as I've quite a few other things I've got to do.  I'm still a newbie
> at it because I can't dedicate the time.
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/git/olpc-kernel/commit/?h=olpc-4.8&id=4731695ff517ccb145e60d68acd2f7f15eb4ab6b
> is an example patch which, in addition to a few irrelevant changes,
> adds our OLPC RPM build process;
>
> - our defconfig,
>
> - a spec file for rpmbuild,
>
> - a build script,
>
> - an openfirmware boot script.
>
> Some of this may have bit-rotted.

So, over the last week or so, I spent some effort making this work with
the OLPC RPM build tooling. Here's what I came up with:

http://v3.sk/~lkundrak/olpc/green_ears.jpeg

The kernel:

  git pull https://github.com/hackerspace/olpc-xo175-linux/ olpc-5.0

Based on vanilla v5.0.8, a few parts taken from olpc-4.8, olpc-3.0-arm,
along with my defconfig and a couple of changes to support cross-build
on Fedora 30. I've not tested native builds, I didn't dare to run it on
the XO.

Firmware:

  git pull https://github.com/lkundrak/openfirmware/ lr/olpc-xo175-3

A couple more small fixups here and there since lr/olpc-xo175-2. The
most notable fix is for a regression that caused the RTC to be cleared
on each boot.

  git pull https://github.com/lkundrak/dracut-modules-olpc/ master

There's a fix for assumptions about the mmc controller numbering. Also,
to boot a FDT-based kernel the initramfs needs to avoid triggering the
compat boot path (that lies about bootpath and disables the DT
flattening).

  git pull https://github.com/lkundrak/olpc-utils/ v5.0
  git pull https://github.com/lkundrak/olpc-utils/ master

Fixes the X11 video.

The patched packages are here: http://v3.sk/~lkundrak/olpc/
The dracut-modules-olpc package needs to be installed prior to the
kernel.

Lubo