Disable (?) NM random mac for shared XO wifi - USB0 / Chrome/ Pi Zero

Carrol Riddle ebox382 at scishare.com
Sat Jul 28 09:03:48 EDT 2018

All,

The solution is trivial and deceptively so.

With the Pi Zero DISCONNECTED, use Gnome Desktop to edit / add connection to create a connection method with type Ethernet. Leave the mac address fields blank. Pull down tab IPv4 and select "share with other computers " and save / power off. Connect Zero and power on XO.  The Pi Zero connection is automatically  establish and persists through subsequent boots.  Note that the mac fields remain blank.

No special configuration for XO is needed. The Raspberry Pi Zero setup is as in the first post. Basic setup -- 'host_addr' and 'dev_addr' are not needed in cmdline.txt .

Area's that I might monitor are other connection methods marked to "try to connect on boot" and any changes to mac addresses and "no auto default" in /etc/NetworkManager.conf  .

Prior practice was to power on XO with Zero connected and the connection method was automatically created with a random mac. If the mac field was changed, a "connection error" would occur.

With an Activity to run a script, simple access to the Raspian Desktop should be possible from Sugar.

A shout-out to Tony Anderson who may have such an Activity.

This should close my request for help with resources.

Carrol Riddle