[XSCE] 2007 -> 2017 browser experience on XO-1, XO-1.5, XO-1.75 and XO-4

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Wed Dec 28 11:07:32 EST 2016

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
> wrote:
>
>> measure the parameters of the video stream produced by the XO-1 after
>> conversion to ogg. Any XO should be able to sustain that level.
>>
>> One current browser practice is to stream media where the browser is
>> capable. This is not suitable for an XO. The media should be downloaded and
>> played locally. One of the customizations is to patch the Browse activity
>> to automatically download mp3 (unless a short Talk English clip), mp4, pdf,
>> epub, and txt files.
>> In the case of the book formats, a user is not going to be able to read
>> it while online. This patch is simple and effective.
>>

> Great suggestions, thanks Tony.  I'll add these to
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Browser_improvements along with your general
> recommendation to avoid HD video (and broadband glitz in general...)

Many thanks to Tony Anderson for the following code that provides a way for
kids (who need to read/review materials after walking away school servers)
to store such large downloaded media & ebooks on their XO's, by default:

from: Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
date: Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 10:48 AM

One of the features of the Sugar Browse activity is the use of webkit. This
provides an easy way to incorporate the browser in Sugar python activities
such as markdown.

The control of downloads in Browse is in browser.py where I modified this
procedure:

 def __mime_type_policy_cb(self, webview, frame, request, mimetype,
                              policy_decision):
        """Handle downloads and PDF files."""
        print 'mimetype is', mimetype
        print 'uri is', request.get_uri()

        if mimetype == 'application/pdf':
            #uri = request.get_uri()
            #print 'uri', uri
            #self.emit('open-pdf', request.get_uri())
            #policy_decision.ignore()
            policy_decision.download()
            return True

        elif mimetype in ['audio/mpeg','video/webm','au
dio/x-m4a','video/mp4','audio/mp4']:
             print 'audio', request.get_uri()
             if 'ShortAudio' in request.get_uri():
                 #cmd = '/home/olpc/Documents/gsttest/playmp3
'+request.get_uri()
                 cmd = "gst-launch-0.10 playbin2 uri="+request.get_uri()
                 print 'cmd', cmd
                 call(cmd,shell=True)
                 policy_decision.ignore()
                 return True
             policy_decision.download()
             return True

        elif mimetype == 'text/plain':
             if 'rachel' in request.get_uri():
                 policy_decision.download()
                 return True

        elif mimetype == 'application/epub+zip':
             print 'download epub', request.get_uri()
             policy_decision.download()
             return True

        elif not self.can_show_mime_type(mimetype):
            policy_decision.download()
            return True

        return False

Note: the test for 'ShortAudio' refers to TalkEnglish which puts its short
mp3s in this folder. These can be streamed.

The following code in downloadmanager.py launches Jukebox for the
downloaded file with these mime_types (appears after test for Sugar
activity).

            if sniffed_mime_type in ['audio/mpeg','video/webm','au
dio/x-m4a','video/mp4','audio/mp4']:
                cmd = 'sugar-launch -o ' + str(self.dl_jobject) +
'Jukebox.activity'
                call(cmd, shell=True)

These changes were made in Browse-147 but should be the same for the
current version (157.3).