Dark or darker display

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Apr 25 00:57:46 EDT 2016

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 05:53:19PM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:
> quozl at laptop.org said:
> > The XO-4 display has a much brighter backlight.  It proved
> > impossible to find such dark LEDs as used to exist.

I was hasty.  Let me restate that.  Some XO-1.75 and many XO-4,
especially those produced last year and onwards, have a different

Look at the BL manufacturing tag in the firmware SPI Flash to figure
out if you have the new backlight source.

https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/12854 has technical details.

> Do they take more power or are they more efficient?

Probably yes to both, but I've not tested.

(i.e. more power, more efficient, more lumens overall, more lumens per watt).

James Cameron