OS builder XO1 image on SD card boot questions

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 19:19:45 EDT 2015

The image I created with OS builder, and loaded onto an SD card, stalls
with initramfs complaining that dracut does not  have a rootfs declared in
cmdline.

Strangely, at the OK prompt, I can declare " root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 to
boot-file" and then "boot", and I can get into the new image.

There's a lot that I don't know about forth, So I tried to simplify the
situation with my own substitute olpc.fth:

<olpc.fth>
\ short and to the point
unfreeze
" sd:\boot\runrd0.zip" to ramdisk
boot sd:\boot\runos0.zip root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 console=ttyS0,115200
</olpc.fth>

Which led to the following  "Unrecognized program format" on the end of the
serial cable:

Forth
Type 'i' to interrupt stand-init sequence

USB2 devices:
/pci/usb at f,5/wlan at 0,0
USB1 devices:
OLPC C2, 256 MiB memory installed, S/N SHF807040A4
OpenFirmware  Q2F20   EC Firmware Ver:1.2.1   2015-09-02 22:41:40 UTC

Type the Esc key to interrupt automatic startup
Boot device: /sd/disk:\boot\olpc.fth  Arguments:
Boot device: /pci/sd at c,1/disk at 1:\boot\runos0.zip  Arguments:
root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 console=ttyS0,110
<buffer at ffb6f748>:4: Unrecognized program format
OLPC C2, 256 MiB memory installed, S/N SHF807040A4
OpenFirmware  Q2F20   EC Firmware Ver:1.2.1   2015-09-02 22:41:44 UTC

Type 'help' for more information.

Should I add "true to security-off?" to my olpc.fth? There are just so many
trial-and-error exploits I have the patience for!

Maybe someone knows how I can correct the missing  cmdline "root=".  It's
pretty clear that other SD builds I have done have not experienced this
problem.

Thanks for the help