OLPC Debian Jessie

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun May 3 20:44:12 EDT 2015

On Sun, May 03, 2015 at 02:22:03PM -0400, Nathan Misner wrote:
> I've been running Debian Jessie on my XO-1 for about a week. These
> <http://pastebin.com/EktdMcjk> are the instructions that I wrote
> detailing my process. Can somebody go over these and make sure that
> there aren't any errors or omissions before I post this on the wiki?

Errors:

1.  you do a "chroot ${MP}" but MP is not defined, should be debroot,

2.  don't bother changing swappiness, because a typical SD card won't
be affected by wear like that; the swap space you chose is so large
that it will almost never be used,

Post on the Wiki for further review.

Your process is very similar to the process that I use, but you may be
interested in the differences:

1.  use a tmpfs mount for the debroot directory, which makes dpkg fly
really fast, because it doesn't have to wait for filesystem flush,

2.  use an instance of approx, which makes repeated builds fly even
faster, because all the packages are local,

3.  temporarily replace start-stop-daemon with a noop so that no
processes are left behind after installing other packages,

4.  optionally build into jffs2 image for use without SD card,

I suggest removing the comments you make about VirtualBox, Dropbox,
and Conky.  They aren't relevant.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/