Announcing OLPC OS 13.2.3 for XO-1.75 and XO-4

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Mar 30 02:12:58 EDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 01:48:13PM +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 10:05:12AM -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
> > (2) When I went to the CP section to update, the progress-bar filled
> > in completely, but then it sat, with no indication of whether or not
> > everything was up-to-date. Nothing in the logs.
>
> Packet tracing shows it is contacting activities.sugarlabs.org, using
> the aslo.py backend, but ASLO doesn't know about 0.104, and gives
> empty XML responses.
>
> The download complete callback also fails, because the result passed
> by the downloader does not have a method get_data:
>
>     AttributeError: 'Bytes' object has no attribute 'get_data'
>
> After reconfiguring to use the microformat updater, the same message
> occurs.
>
> This message may be because an older version of libsoup is being
> used in this Fedora 18 build.

I was wrong.

The message is caused by a bug in gobject-introspection which fails to
make the g_bytes_get_data method available to Python.

The bug occurs in Fedora 18, and is gone in Fedora 20.

Workaround is a ​patch to use unref_to_array instead of get_data, but
this won't work on later versions of gobject-introspection.

http://dev.laptop.org/~quozl/y/1YcSik.txt

With the switch to microformat backend, and this patch, the updater
works now.  It has offered TurtleBlocks and Pippy updates.

The change in gobject-introspection which fixes it is in
gir/glib-2.0.c in the g_bytes_* sections.

Being tracked at
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/12878

p.s. the ASLO backend also has a bug were it will stall the update
under certain conditions.  The underlying cause is that
__downloader_complete_cb may return without emitting the
check-complete signal.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/