Duolingo and literacy

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Sat Jul 18 20:32:49 EDT 2015

SJ and I did get a chance to follow up with him afterward and suggest that
they might considering teaching English literacy directly to non-native
speakers (as we did in our Ethiopia pilot, rather than only teaching
students in their native language; of course DuoLingo doesn't support a
large number of languages, so allowing folks to skip directly to English
would greatly increase their reach).  They are big on A/B tests and
quantification over there, I think we convinced him it was an interesting
hypothesis to test.

SJ asked how one could help with the literacy effort and he gave us some
contract information.  If any of the OLPC crew is interested, drop me (or
SJ) a line and we'll try to hook you up.

I think they might actually be able to make a significant dent in the
literacy problem.
  ----scott