os 14.1.0

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Feb 1 19:41:17 EST 2015

On Sun, Feb 01, 2015 at 05:54:59PM -0500, Sebastian Silva wrote:
> Greetings James,
> I would like to understand your logic more, just because I adhere to
> the "release early, release often" philosophy.
>
> What are the costs of putting these releases out?

About double.  Because of licensing we would have to make an
additional release each time; one to our customers, one to community.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Vmeta
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Adobe_Flash

> What kind of community investment do you require?

Fixing bugs.  Detecting them isn't difficult, but fixing them consumes
limited resources.

> For what XO models is this version targeted?

XO-4, because that is the model in production.

> As a community member interested in building custom OSes I would
> like to understand.

If you're building custom OSes then you should not be impacted; the
component and source releases continue to happen via dropboxes and git
repositories.  You can build with olpc-os-builder now.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/