[UKids] ext2 vs ext4 vs exFAT for XO content SD cards?

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sun Aug 16 22:11:13 EDT 2015

Great points all around.

To give a genuine voice to innovative but non-technical grassroots
teachers, I'd very much advocate for a 1GB exFAT/NTFS/FAT32 partition (or
whatever, let's say 1% of the 64GB or 128GB or 256GB SD card) to give
streets-is-talkin local educators authentic voice, alongside neocolonial
megapublishers birthing new 21st century learning cultures.  (We ARE the
99%, so at least give us 1% of the disk :-)

Much as Daniel Drake's 2009-era http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_Builder is a
far better tool for national deployments, as compared to Michael Stone's
2008-era http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customization_stick which was so
effective for community deployments during its heyday, much was also lost
(beyond just Michael Stone's paycheck ;)  As Mass Customization is never as
easy as the buzzword implies, and supporting both approaches became too
expensive for OLPC.

But both styles have their essential place (mass-production and
in-field-artisanry) so going forward I strongly hope we make a place for
both: megapublishers mass-cloned content a-la-IIAB, and equally important:
in-field customization by amateur/local true-as-can-be educators &
librarians, rise-of-the-rest folks who will rarely speak English nor
understand our documentation, let's be honest!

(Even if God Forbid teachers occasionally bootleg motivating content, using
this 1% partition of static local content, just like every interesting
teacher has done over the past half century, at the mimeograph/xerox
duplication machine...)