Yum random crashes in XO4 f20 images

Martin Abente Lahaye tch at sugarlabs.org
Tue Sep 9 14:10:42 EDT 2014

Thanks for the quick reponse,

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>

> Hi Martin,
> > I am have been building a Fedora 20 image for the XO4, and I am seeing
> > memory corruption problems while running yum in these images (please
> check
> > the logs [1,2]).
> The logs don't mean anything to me. What device are you running it on,
> how much memory, do you have swap enabled?

It is running on a XO4, with 999MB ram and no swap. Maybe James can explain
better what other specs are for the XO4.

> > To give you some context, we are using olpc-os-builder (master [3]) with
> > fc20 repositories plus a few hand-crafted packages such as the kernel,
> > systemd and xorg, taken from previous Daniel Narvaez efforts [4,5].
> >
> > These crashes happens randomly when yum is running, by calling yum
> update or
> > when olpc-os-build is installing system packages.
> Yum isn't the most memory friendly, and some of the post update
> scripts aren't either, you need to make sure there's enough
> memory/swap.

I am not so sure this is related to memory usage really, as it happens even
when I am installing just a few packages (located in FS)  via "yum update

> > James Cameron, who spent some time researching about this issue,
> speculates
> > that this problem could be caused by: (a) using older kernel that was
> > compiled (possibly) with different options compared to f20's, or (b) a
> > faulty glibc library.
> >
> > I was wondering if this could be related to something else, something
> more
> > specific to  yum or python arm binaries (?).
> Unlikely, I've not seen issues elsewhere. But I need more details.

What kind of details would you need? I can try reproducing and send what
you need.

> > I would sincerely appreciate any guidance you can provide to start
> > discarding possibilities and try to debug this issue.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
> What version of OOB are you using, and what config files? I can try
> and recreate the problem here on other devices.

This problem occurs in all f20 images for the XO4 that we or others have

The latest images were created using:

* OLPC's OOB masterbranch: git://dev.laptop.org/projects/olpc-os-builder
* OLPC's .ini file:

In case you have a XO4 with you, and have the time to try this out, you can
download an image from