quozl at laptop.org
Tue May 13 18:24:38 EDT 2014
On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 09:28:31AM -0500, Juan Carlos Garcés Mariño wrote:
> (dBm) rssi snr nf
> Bad laptop -85 13 -98
> Good laptop -40 53 -91
The RSSI is much lower than usual, the noise floor is a bit lower than
usual, as a consequence the signal to noise ratio is too low for
There is a major fault in the radio system of this bad laptop.
I do not recall what you have tried so far, but my advice is to change
the system a component at a time to find out which component is at
fault. There are only three components that can be changed;
- change the left-hand antenna and coax,
- change the right-hand antenna and coax,
- change wireless card.
Test again after each change. Record the results. Identify the
faulty component and replace it.
Predictable causes of failure for each component:
- antenna physical impact damage,
- water in antenna case,
- broken coax cable termination inside antenna,
- coax cable twist, compression, abrasion or water damage,
- coax cable connector physical damage,
- wireless card connector physical damage,
- wireless card electrostatic discharge damage,
- wireless card water damage,
- wireless card product lifetime or thermal cycle damage.
More information about the Devel