Using a wifi dongle on an XO-1(.5) -- another dongle

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sat May 3 00:45:27 EDT 2014

On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 12:19:43AM -0400, Nathan C. Riddle wrote:
> I see an example at
> http://oxfordtec.com/us/wireless-adapters/usb-interface-minicard-wireless/sparklan-wper-172gn-802-11bgn-1t1r-usb-interface-mini-pci-express-half-size-module-ralink-rt5390u-minicard-soc-solution.htm

That link didn't work, but it was only a missing www prefix and l
suffix:

http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/wireless-adapters/usb-interface-minicard-wireless/sparklan-wper-172gn-802-11bgn-1t1r-usb-interface-mini-pci-express-half-size-module-ralink-rt5390u-minicard-soc-solution.html

The datasheet link on that page is broken.  An engineer working on
integrating this module would need the datasheet, so that they can
check the pinout.

> So, if USB pin location is not too different (near, on same side),
> might be possible (?).

Yes.

> Might get lucky that there is a "standard" location of the USB pins.

Yes.

There's a great song by Daft Punk along those lines.  Get Lucky.

> By " possible", I mean pin-cut modified card used as workable
> replacement for (unavailable) Libertas in XO-1.5 .

libertas is not the right term to use.  It is the name of the kernel
driver for the 8686 and the 8388.  It is also the name of the Open
Firmware driver for the 8388, 8686 and 8787.

It might not require card changes, it might instead require main board
changes.

Certainly an exciting and challenging task that might not scale well.

> I note that the Ralink (and Atheros) drivers are in 12.1.0 and
> 13.2.0 (not in 11.3.1) and the rt2800usb.bin (for /lib/firmware/)
> can be obtained at http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/
> (click on rt2800usb to download) and supported models are given in
> the "Status" link.     ncr

I also note two other devices with SDIO interface listed on the
libertas driver Wiki page:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/libertas

--
James Cameron