Using a wifi dongle on an XO-1(.5) -- another dongle

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu May 1 18:32:34 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 01, 2014 at 03:56:32PM -0400, Nathan C. Riddle wrote:
> Found another Ralink device that works: RT5370.   [...]
> Now, is there a device based on Ralink chips to replace the internal
> Libertas wireless module ? :)

No, certainly not.

"libertas" kernel driver is used for the Marvell 88W8388 and 88W8686
based wireless modules.

The XO-1 module, based on the 88W8388 chip, is not removable, and
no other module is compatible.

The XO-1.5, XO-1.75, and XO-4 modules, the 88W8686, are removable, but
the only source of replacements is OLPC spare parts, and minimum order
quantities make this impractical for you.

And, if I'm reading the schematics right, there's also two voltage
variants, so the modules for XO-1.5 (3.3V) can't be swapped with the
modules for XO-1.75 and XO-4 (1.8V).

The XO-1.5, XO-1.75, and XO-4 main board wireless socket is a
Mini-PCIe connector, but the electrical interface is custom, and
carries SDIO, wireless indicator LED, and wakeup signals, so any
new module must be custom made for the hardware.

You might break open a USB wireless adapter, attach to the USB
connecting points at a socket, and glue it into the laptop in the
space vacated by the original module.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/