[Sugar-devel] seeking help to enable nepali keyboard input for XO-4

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Mon Jun 16 21:19:09 EDT 2014

On Jun 16, 2014, at 9:05 PM, Walter Bender wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:03 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
>
> Walter,
>    You remember correctly.  The hard/clicky/crunchy keyboards are not rated
> for as long a lifetime as the membrane/chewy keyboards.   While the membrane
> keyboard design was tested to 5 million key presses, IIRC the clicky keyboard is
> only rated to 1 million key presses.   (On the other hand, it takes one minute
> to replace a clicky keyboard versus twenty for a membrane keyboard.)
>
> ..if you have a replacement keyboard... any insight into how easy it would be to make replacement keys in the field?

I would say impossible, but that would be underestimating the creativeness of
our deployments.

At the electrical level, the crunchy and chewy keyboards have the same contacts,
so I don't expect that to be the failure mechanism.   Failure should be due to the
mechanical parts (as it is with the membrane keyboards).   If you pull off the keycap
and the guide mechanism, the key still activates when you press on the membrane
or the rubber cap (which provides both the spring action and presses on the contacts)
glued to it.

Cheers,
wad