"XO-1 classrooms" don't reliably connect to many/most Wifi AP's

T Gillett tgillett at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 16:08:38 EST 2014

Hi All

The general experience seems to be that it's possible to get small numbers
of XOs to connect to various APs, but things fall apart when you try to
have a classroom of 30 kids connect automatically on a daily basis.

The XO-1 presents a particular challenge as its behaviour is quite
different to that of later model XOs and the reasons are not well
understood at this point.

Even with later model XOs there are challenges in supporting large numbers
of XOs.

We have been working with OLPC Aust over the last year as part of their
XO-4 rollout and found a working solution that has been implemented in some
50 classrooms with 20-30 students in each. This is in use on a daily basis
and is quite reliable. So it is achievable.

Hopefully we can get to the same situation with the XO-1s.

Please understand that our work to date on the XO-1 problem has been just
to establish a testing baseline to support further investigation.

We are not recommending any solution for XO-1 deployments at this point.

Regards
Terry