EC, CForth exploratory commands?

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Mon Apr 14 01:01:58 EDT 2014

On Apr 13, 2014, at 11:44 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> But in the back of my mind I run through  "how would you use
> u-boot in bringup instead of ofw?".

Before OFW, I used assembler code and C debugging shells (think
peek/poke/test mem/run dedicated test functions/boot OS), but I last
did than on single core PPCs.  Once you start talking multiple devices,
cores, caches, interrupt controllers, etc. that approach doesn't scale well.

The basic problem is that you need to be able to quickly modify the code
and test again.  It is hard to beat an interactive language at doing that.

I've watched David Woodhouse use the Linux kernel to do bringup
in a similar manner to Open Firmware, but only he makes it look easy
(and it does require some recompiling and downloading for testing).

Cheers,
wad