[support-gang] [Sugar-devel] Sugar on a $100 tablet!

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 03:28:06 EDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 4:27 AM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi...
>
> Will some of you be at the SF Summit? I can bring my XO Tablet if you
> would like to test Sugar on it. All I ask is that you sweep it clean when
> finished so I can re-customize it for my grand daughter. It's to be her
> present for her third birthday in late December.
>
> Caryl
>
> P.S. If others can bring other Android devices they don't mind messing
> with that would be great. In fact, maybe you could play with my Samsung
> phone... same conditions... wipe it clean or restore it when we have
> finished playing.

Caryl,

To the best of my knowledge I don't believe that the XO Tablet has been
rooted, and the buyers do not have the ability to unlock the bootloader.
This basically means you will not be able to do this customization onto the
XO Tablet.  Yet another reason why that device fails in the OLPC Mission
statement in so many ways.

Except for Nexus devices, any other devices rooted or unlocked to perform
this testing on usually voids the devices manufacturer warranty.  I don't
want to discourage the tinkering, just make sure you know the ramifications
of your choice.

A device like Pengpod would be far more suitable for testing like this,
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pengpod-1040-quad-core-linux-android-dual-booting-tablets
Unfortunately it does not look like the company will receive the funding
they are in search of to produce their product.  I like their idea but the
execution so far does not inspire me enough to donate to their campaign.

-Jon