Helping test Sugar 0.100

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Thu Sep 26 14:58:39 EDT 2013

To all the people interested in help to test the new features in Sugar
0.100,
I have prepared rpms to install over a 13.2.0 image on xo-1.5 (I didn't
tested on
xo-1, but should work). The rpms include some improvements developed to
include in Australia images too.

*Steps to install:*
*
*
1) Install 13.2.0, as explained here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.0
2) Download http://dev.laptop.org/~gonzalo/testing-0.100-i386.zip
4) In the terminal
unzip testing-0.100-i386.zip
su
rpm -e sugar-update-control
rpm -Uvh *.rpm
rm -rf .sugar
reboot

*What is new on Sugar 0.100?*

This is a pretty exciting release, with many improvements:
Web Sevices: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Web_services
Multiple Home Views:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Multiple_home_views
Multi Selection in the Journal:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Multi_selection
Enable change Home Icon: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Icon_Change
Content Support: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Content_support
Background image in Home View:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Background_image_on_home_view
Database Support in 3G Modems control panel:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/3G_Support/Database_Support

the Activities Updater was improved too, now can update from
activities.sugarlabs.org or from wiki.laptop.org.

The pygobject/gobject-introspection rpms included, contain fixes and
performance improvements developed by Daniel Drake.

*And more!*

These patches have more fun, in development for Australia.
New age and gender request dialog (to improve statistics collection)
Backup/Restore: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Backup_and_Restore
Proxy configuration: (based on work from Manuel QuiƱones over the original
feature proposal http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Proxy_configuration)
WPA/WPA2 conections:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/WPA-WPA2-Enterprise-Network-Connections
Hidden Access Points connection (based in the feature
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Configuring_Hidden_Wifi_Access_Points)

*What is out?*

We can't test web activities in F18 yet. There are work ongoing, but is not
ready.

If someone need rpm sources, tell me, are not included in the zip to make
easier the installation.

Please report any issue you found in sugar-devel mailing list or fill a
ticket in bugs.sugarlabs.org.

Gonzalo