[Sugar-devel] Private vs Public conversations.

Manuel QuiƱones manuq at laptop.org
Tue Oct 29 15:22:37 EDT 2013

2013/10/29 Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 11:01 PM, David Farning
> <dfarning at activitycentral.com> wrote:
> > I would like to thank everyone who has provided valuable feedback by
> > participating on this thread.
> >
> > The three things I am going to takeway from the the thread are:
> > 1. Jame's point about my position about not representing the median.
> > Due to my history and role in the ecosystem, I have upset some
> > apple-carts :(
> > 2. Martin's point about the right hand not always being aware of what
> > the left hand is doing. This unfortunately seems to happen too
> > frequently.
> > 3. Finally, and most importantly, Daniel's point  about getting back
> > to the business of improving Sugar.
> >
> > My proposal is that Activity Central make the next step of funding two
> > developers to work on HTML5 and JS. If we can find a mutually
> > beneficial relationship around this, we can see how we can expand the
> > relationship in the future.
> >
> > Seem reasonable?
>
> Proposals aside (of course more eyes and hands would be appreciated)
> there is still the underlying issue of mistrust that you have raised.
> I think it is important that we clear the air and I think it is not
> unreasonable to ask you to be specific about your perceptions that
> somehow Sugar Labs is not acting in a transparent manner.

I totally agree.  This needs more clarification from your side, David.
 As a maintainer who was under contract with olpc I feel attacked.  We
had difficult times and many comings and goings when raw patches
appeared, yes (specially during the GTK3 port).  But that was because
of the nature of our workflow, which hopefully has improved.  Proof of
that is that we have zero patches on queue, as Daniel said.  It would
be foolish to bypass good patches with improvements or bugfixes.  And
certainly I wasn't told to do so.  And as Daniel said also, the
openness of our community simply doesn't allow it, as anyone can be a
reviewer.

--
.. manuq ..