[Sugar-devel] Private vs Public conversations.

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 10:17:03 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM, David Farning
> <dfarning at activitycentral.com> wrote:
>> I just wanted to bump this line of questions as, it is the critical
>
> I don't speak on behalf of the Association, but I think your positions
> are overstated. As far as I know, the Association is still pursing
> sales of XO laptops and is still supporting XO laptops in the field.
> Granted the pace of development is slowed and there is -- to my
> knowledge -- no team in place to develop an follow up to the XO 4.0. I
> don't have a clue as to what you mean by a "technical philanthropy"
> but it remains a non-profit associated dedicated to enhancing learning
> opportunities through one-to-one computing. The fact that the
> Association has private-sector partners is nothing new. It has had
> such partners since its founding in 2006.

+1 on Walter's words, David's position is overstated. OLPC has shrunk
its Sugar investment, that is true. But on the other points, nothing
has changed significantly, OLPC has always had to find sources of
funding.

>> Given financial constraints, these are reasonable shifts.

That's more like it ;-)

>> there are ways to establish publicly disclosed and mutually beneficial
>> relationships. In the meantime we are happy to provide deployments
>> support while seeding and supporting projects we feel are beneficial
>> to deployments such as School Server Community Edition and Sugar on
>> Ubuntu.

"Seeding and supporting projects" is how it's done.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff