XO Problems (4 Problems)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Nov 25 22:58:10 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 08:55:54PM -0600, Anna wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at cscott.net> wrote:
> > IIRC startup volume is persistent, but I can't remember how it is
> > adjusted.
>
> Oh, this was one of the more common questions I used to get from
> teachers here in Birmingham.  The startup tones were extremely
> distracting in the classroom.

Prepare a USB drive for your teachers to disable the sound:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Startup_sound#Can_we_disable_it_for_a_classroom.3F

> I just tested this on my XO4 to make sure the process is the same as
> it was on the XO-1.

Yes, it is the same across XO-1, XO-1.5, XO-1.75 and XO-4.

> Start with the XO4 powered off.  Locate and hover your finger over
> F11 (the volume down key) and get ready.   Power on.  While (or even
> before, it doesn't hurt anything) you hear the tones, press F11
> repeatedly until the volume level is satisfactory.  To raise the
> volume back up, it's the same process but with F12 (volume up).

You can also hold a volume key down after turning the laptop on, and
it will repeat.  You can use this on any random XO you pick up to
avoid the startup sound almost entirely.

> I think at this point some of us have technically heard The Edge's
> guitar playing more than a lot of U2 fans.

Yes, during OLPC conference calls and team meetings having some
participant reboot an XO repeatedly was very distracting.  ;-)

Sick of U2?  You can now change the startup sound.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Startup_sound#Can_we_use_another_sound.3F

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/