[Sugar-devel] different perspectives

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Tue Nov 5 07:59:32 EST 2013

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> Dear Community,
>
> As I was listening to the interviews of some of the OLPC SF Summit
> attendees, I was amazed at the richness of diversity in perspectives.
> In spite of being a part of this community since July 2007, and trying
> to keep up with all that is OLPC and Sugar, these interviews threw me
> off a bit.
>
> The videos are uploading as I write this. They'll be available at
> https://www.youtube.com/user/olpcsf/videos soon. Bill Stelzer, who
> usually interviews and runs the camera asks people a handful of
> questions. So, here's a little community exercise. Why not ask you all
> the same?
>
> 1) What brought you into the OLPC and/or Sugar project(s)?

I started developing activities because I liked the project and the mission.
Later was invited to help start a deployment in my country,
and after that was contracted by OLPC to continue developing activities
and Sugar.

> 2) What keeps you going in the OLPC and/or Sugar project(s)?

The team is incredible. Every day I learn something,
and we have new challenges.

> 3) What are the challenges you face in the OLPC and/or Sugar project(s)?

* Miss-communication between volunteers.
* Lack of founding.
* New technological landscape (tablets/android)

> 4) What would you change/do differently so OLPC and/or Sugar
> project(s) could do better?

I think we need do a strategic analysis of our position, and improve
the development of the areas needed by teachers and schools.
If OLPC is not a option to distribute Sugar, we could need partner
with hardware providers.

Gonzalo