Install Firefox

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Thu May 30 03:28:29 EDT 2013

Hi,

I have found it unproductive to try to install Firefox by rebuilding.
It is far easier to update the XO with a bash script from a usb drive.
This also avoids the problem with using a signed release (the basic
build is signed).

I am currently using Firefox 20 on build 12.1.0. The install script is:

#install firefox
echo 'install firefox'
rm -rf /home/olpc/.mozilla
sudo rm -rf /opt/firefox*
sudo rm -rf /usr/bin/firefox
sudo cp firefox*.tar.bz2 /opt
cd /opt
sudo tar -xvjpf firefox*.tar.bz2
cd /usr/bin
sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox firefox
sudo rm -rf /opt/firefox*.tar.bz2
sudo poweroff

This script also installs some Sugar activities. The final poweroff
command shows the script is finished and also forces reboot of the XO.
Note: the * after Firefox keeps the script valid when the Firefox
release level changes. Naturally, the downloaded tarball is installed on
the USB drive.

Tony