Boot time shell script on USB

T Gillett tgillett at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 03:51:50 EDT 2013

Hi All

I am seeking some advice as a novice in the XO space.

I would like to run a shell script (to do some configuration changes and
install some additional packages) when an XO is started with a USB memory
stick installed with the script on board.

The idea is that users in the field can be given a USB stick containing the
latest release which they can instal in the normal manner, then at a
subsequent boot up, the script on the USB will run and configure the XO to
just the way we want it.

The idea is that this will provide a simple way to do upgrades and
reconfiguration in the field.
At present we have to ask users to start up a terminal session and run the
script from the command line.
This works just fine to set up the XO, but we would like to remove the need
for the terminal session for obvious reasons.

My question is whether there is a simple way to do this already built in to
the system.

I am aware of the recent discussion around using the Forth file at start
up, but I don't think that will work for what I want as the operating
system needs to be up to do the package installs etc that we want.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Terry