minimizing footprint

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Mar 25 16:01:01 EDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Paul Fox <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
> i think the point john (gilmore) was making is that it's a bad
> precedent that simply because a) systemd offers a second-rate API for
> scheduling events, and b) we only have a couple of uses for an event
> scheduler, that we should therefore switch from a well-established API
> to a lousy API.  instead, if systemd can be made to support the cron
> API properly, it would be worth making it do so.

systemd's cron-like API is actually more powerful than cron, in that
it can schedule based on seconds precision, and offers monotonic
clocks in addition to calendar times.

It is true that it has not passed the test of time.

> barring that, or if it's too much work (likely), then if it saves us
> boatloads of disk to make the switch, and our use-cases don't lose
> functionality or correctness as a result, then i guess we should
> switch.

It's not a huge saving, but a small amount of work to eliminate a
daemon that runs all the time on every laptop seems worth it to me.

Daniel