Removing cron in 13.2

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Sat Mar 23 17:55:11 EDT 2013

> As a simple step in reducing base system footprint a little, I'm
> thinking of removing cron in 13.2.0.
>
> The 2 current users of cron (ds-backup and olpc-update-query) will be
> moved to systemd timer units which have equivalent functionality.

The classic Unix interface for starting processes periodically is
cron; all other packages that need that feature use it, ever since
Unix V7 or so in the 1970s.  If systemd has reimplemented the
equivalent, can you fix systemd to implement the cron interface to
that feature?  That looks like the clean way to shrink the system a
little.

	John