[Question] Xterm and its font

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Mar 20 04:37:01 EDT 2013

I agree, the default xterm font is unreadable.

The font of the console is specified in the kernel configuration as SUN12x22

However, I do not use bitmap fonts on xterm on XO, but I use a
FreeType font.

This gives me 79 characters:

     xterm -fa "Mono" -fs 9 +sb

This gives me 80 characters:

     xterm -fa "Mono" -fs 8.7 +sb

Tested on GNOME desktop on 13.1.0.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 09:12:13AM +0100, Pascal Diogo Antunes wrote:
> Hi,
> Simple question:
> On XO screen, the xterm default font isn't appropriate for a good reading.
> So what's the font for the terminal when X server isn't running (on ctrl-alt+fx mode)? Or how can I do better than a font -misc-*-*-*-*-*-*-200-*-*-*-*-*-* (adobe, and b&h produce a visual not pretty)? What's your font default on xterm?
>
> Thanks for help.
>
> Libere,
> Pascal Diogo Antunes.

James Cameron