Māori Macrons & olpc keyboard

Barry Vercoe barry at laptop.org.au
Tue Jun 25 08:22:10 EDT 2013

Tom, it's not correct to say the laptops will remain in Maori.  Many
schools have both Maori and English classes, and the ability of these
machines to cross the boundary, to have a child work either in their
first language or (with a simple switch in Settings->Language) to gain
experience in another, is one of our strong features.  Having the switch
relatively easy is a great, and I've seen some kids do it while I'm
supposedly talking to them.

Incidentally, there's a _bug _when declaring the second language
second.  It seems that whichever language is _last declared_ becomes the
current language in which alternative languages are expressed -- as for
instance for the list within _Speak_. Since I don't yet have a Maori
version of the ESPEAK voice engine (takers anyone?), and since English
pronunciation and prosody is a poor substitute, I routinely tell the
children typing in Maori to set the _Speak _language to Vietnamese.
This is a surprisingly good substitute.  But it becomes hard to find if
someone has last set the login 2nd language to Arabic.  This bug
shouldn't be hard to fix.  Until then, declare your #2 language first,
and your #1 language last.

-- barry