External hard disk testing for use with IIAB (internet in a Box) on XO based XSCE servers

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Mon Jun 24 12:10:17 EDT 2013

> For important systems, I think a USB hard drive will be a better
> choice than an empty enclosure.
>
> They are also often cheaper than a new empty enclosure and a new hard
> drive.

Indeed, buying a brand-name external USB2/3 hard drive, which is
invariably implemented as a SATA drive in an enclosure, is often
cheaper these days than buying the exact same drive as a SATA drive.
Check prices at http://newegg.com if they sell in your country.

The Internet Archive, with 10+ Petabytes of spinning drives, buys
hundreds of drives at a time, and these days they usually have
hundreds of discarded enclosures and power supplies to recycle to
local hackers. :-/

	John