Compiling thee kernel

Ajay Garg ajay at activitycentral.com
Tue Jun 11 08:07:23 EDT 2013

Hi James.
Thanks a ton for the reply !!!!

Here are the steps I followed on my x86-based Dell laptop::

a)
"cd ~"

b)
"git clone git://dev.laptop.org/olpc-kernel"

c)
"cd olpc-kernel"

d)
"make"

e)
Wait many minutes (if not hours).
Everything runs to completion.

f)
Haphazardly edit "drivers/media/video/ov7670.c".

g)
Now, run "make" again.

Because of the haphazard editing of the file in step f), the build should
break.
However, it doesn't, and it runs to completion as before.

h)
At any time, there is no object file (.o) or kernel-object (.ko) file
whatsoever in the directory "drivers/media/video/marvell-ccic".

i)
Because of observation of step h), and the fact that "ov7670.h" is used in
the file "drivers/media/video/marvell-ccic/mcam-core.c",
I doubt if the "marvell" module is being compiled at all.

j)
Moreover, the "I2C VS SMBus" has stemmed into my imagination, looking at
the file "drivers/media/video/Kconfig" :)

Note that following the steps f) and g) after haphazardly editing a
different file like "drivers/media/video/tvaudio.c" DOES break the build.
That means that I am at least following the right ways to break the build :P

James,
please let me know if you require any more info.

Thanks again for the help !!

--
Regards,

Ajay Garg