Headphone volume adjustment

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Jul 7 18:31:23 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 06, 2013 at 09:25:00AM -0600, Daniel Drake wrote:
> As a point of interest, the pulseaudio volume control on my desktop
> automatically sets the mute bit on the underlying ALSA device when the
> volume slider is dropped to zero. I presume that behaviour is
> implemented by the pulseaudio core. It is probably done for the same
> kinds of reasons (minimum volume not guaranteed to to be inaudible,
> but muting does the trick).

Some drivers may implement a mute intentionally, but I agree it seems
likely to be pulseaudio.

You can test this by moving the control with alsamixer or amixer.  If
the mute changes state, it is the driver doing it.

If the mute only changes state with pulseaudio driving it, then it is
pulseaudio doing it.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/