resurrected XO-1.5, died again

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Jul 1 18:24:15 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 11:16:29AM -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 6:51 AM, Yioryos Asprobounitis
> <mavrothal at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> Yes.  ;-)
> >>
> > Oh, good. That clears it then.
> > Thanks for the insight :-P
>
> Perhaps repeated torsion on the board is one of the factors at play.
> You may get a longer life out of it by ensuring that the unit is
> tightly assembled (specially the screen, which gives the unit a lot of
> its rigidity).

I agree.  I'd go further ... don't open and close the lid, don't throw
it around, and don't give it to a child.  (We're talking about a known
defect here that affects a very small number of laptops,
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10314 )  Give it a nice easy life
sitting on a desk.  Retire to pasture before heading to the knackery.

> If you use the unit with the screen attached with only a couple of
> screws, or those screws are not firmly screwed, the mobo is likely
> to be getting more than its fair share of torsion. All the main
> frame deserves a good tight assembly.

I agree.  I've found laptops with looser-than-i-would-like hinge and
motherboard screws after children have been using them.  The hinge
screws that are uncovered by disassembly were the most interesting.

> One question that I have in my mind is: assuming Yioryos' unit has
> only glue in the corners of the CPU, does it make sense to add some
> glue with a melting glue stick around the perimeter of the CPU
> casing?  [ I suspect the answer is no; the cheap melting glue sticks
> are entirely unlike the glue used around the perimeter of the
> CPU... ]

No idea ... but a good way to prove the method is to do it to 100
units and then study the results after accelerated life testing on a
shaker platform.  ;-)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/