13.1.0 release candidate 4 (build 24) released

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Thu Jan 24 10:19:23 EST 2013

jerry wrote:
 > On Fri, 2013-01-11 at 21:31 +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > We're pleased to announce the next release candidate of our new 13.1.0
 > > software release.
 > <snip>
 > > Please review the "Known problems" section of the release notes. Some
 > > documented issues are carried over from previous releases, but others
 > > are new and are things that we will aim to fix in the few weeks before
 > > release.
 > >
 > > IMPORTANT: New XO-4 firmware Q7B11 breaks automatic upgrade for
 > > touchscreen firmware versions before 0.0.0.10 on C1 models. After
 > > reflashing to Q7B11 from an earlier version, you must (just this once)
 > > manually upgrade with
 > >
 > >   ok update-nn-flash
 > >
 > > Otherwise the touchscreen will not work.
 > >

 > I have questions with this, should everybody be doing this procedure to
 > all updates from a release prior to 23 to a release 24 or later that
 > would install Q7B11 or later?

from 23 or prior to 24 or later, then yes, you should do the manual
update.

the only exception is if you have a B1 with a clear lightguide, and
you care a lot about precise linearity of touchscreen response.  in
that case, you should stick with firmware 0.0.0.4.

and remember, if you make a mistake, you can always go back to 0.0.0.4
by downloading it and doing a manual reflash.

 > ie: image 13.1.0-21 is installed then you flash/olpc-update to 13.1.0-26
 > should you be doing this? Does this apply to all B1,C1,C2 models and
 > what versions should be installed with Q7B11 for these models?
 >
 > from a machine with Q7B11:
 >
 > kernel: zforce: found zForce firmware 0.0.0.4
 > kernel: zforce: running in multitouch mode
 >
 > What should syslog be recording for the zforce driver for the B1,C1,C2?
 >
 > Just trying to clear up what needs to be done going forward.

B1 machines with clear lightguides should probably be left alone, as
noted above.

all other machines should (currently) have 0.0.0.10.  and, once they
have 0.0.0.10, C1 and C2 machines will automatically upgrade in the
future.  i think B1 machines will continue needing manual upgrades.

paul