13.1.0 release candidate 4 (build 24) released

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Fri Jan 11 16:31:26 EST 2013

Hi,

We're pleased to announce the next release candidate of our new 13.1.0
software release.

Note: we have skipped build 23, which was a quick build made for
internal use, and had a critical issue preventing it from being
released officially.

Information and installation instructions can be found here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.1.0

Quick links for those who know which files need to be grabbed and save
to USB disks:
http://download.laptop.org/xo-4/os/candidate/13.1.0-24/
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1.75/os/candidate/13.1.0-24/
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1.5/os/candidate/13.1.0-24/
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/candidate/13.1.0-24/

This is a signed release candidate that can be installed on all XOs,
even those with security enabled.

We're looking for testing and feedback on all aspects of the system.
Thanks for any help you can offer, and for all the feedback that was
received throughout development.

Our scheduled release date is January 7th.

Please review the "Known problems" section of the release notes. Some
documented issues are carried over from previous releases, but others
are new and are things that we will aim to fix in the few weeks before
release.

IMPORTANT: New XO-4 firmware Q7B11 breaks automatic upgrade for
touchscreen firmware versions before 0.0.0.10 on C1 models. After
reflashing to Q7B11 from an earlier version, you must (just this once)
manually upgrade with

  ok update-nn-flash

Otherwise the touchscreen will not work.

XO-4 automatic power management is enabled by default, but this is
still a work in progress. There are still various instabilities which
may make this build feel more unstable than earlier ones. You can
disable automatic power management in sugar's Settings panel to
restore previous behaviour.

Compared to the previous release candidate, we have changed:

Write-86 fixes copy/paste of images (SL#4130) and the initial focus of
the document (SL#4338).

Portfolio-37 fixes PDF export on XO-4 (SL#4370).

Sound works in Scratch/Etoys (#12400).

powerd accurately monitors telepathy again (#12414) to avoid
suspending when collaboration is happening.

An occasional XO-4 boot time hang/crash with the mwifiex 8787 driver
has been fixed (#12197).

Latest XO-4 runin tests for bluetooth testing (#12409).

Thanks!