Playing video on Sugar startup with VMETA

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Fri Feb 22 01:31:28 EST 2013

We're trying to make XO-1.75s play quality video on Sugar startup. Our
solution involves installing the VMETA software on 12.1.0 and then

As this is for marketing/instructional purposes, we need the process
to be really slick:

  1. XO loads with fully graphical boot animation (no console)
  2. video loads and plays, with no chrome (toolbars, sidebars, etc.),
high quality, full frame rate and complete A/V sync
  3. Sugar loads as normal

What we've found is that Totem segfaults when invoked with
--fullscreen. It doesn't crash when loaded in a window, but there's so
much chrome that it looks silly. Even a simpler gstreamer-based
player, gst123, crashes soon after startup. I'm of the understanding
that we need to be using a gstreamer player.

Is there anything that we can do to improve our present situation?

Sridhar Dhanapalan
Engineering Manager
One Laptop per Child Australia