Reflashing over a network

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Aug 30 19:15:51 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:52:48AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> My one attempt to use Nandblast made me realize that even in a
> developed country, you needed N power outlets to flash N XOs, and
> the room I was in at the time had like 3 outlets and thus, it was
> not possible to use it for more.  (Unless I missed something)

You're probably missing that you don't need a power outlet most of the
time; you're conflating the release notes recommendations to developers and
individual users with the process that would be used by a deployment.

A NANDblaster party should use battery power most of the time.  This
is how I do it.  If any laptops show red battery indicator, they can
be selected for extra powering.  It safe for a laptop to power off
during NANDblaster; but it has to be started again.

The only reason for needing external power is to commit a firmware
upgrade, but we made this upgrade so safe that the child can experience
it instead.

I don't think there have been any OLPC OS releases made that _require_
a firmware upgrade to complete before the first boot, but if there are
it should be in the release notes.

Laptops are shipped with batteries holding a charge.  If the laptops
have been stored for a long time, or have been in use by children,
yes, the NANDblaster party would need to include some charging.

Depending on the state of charge distribution across the population,
this _might_ make the party longer.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/