XO-tablet development?

Frantisek Dufka dufkaf at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 08:41:59 EDT 2013

On 14.8.2013 5:02, Andrew McMillan wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your answers.

>  it is intended that the tablet UI will be able to run on hardware
> other than the currently available tablet.  At present it runs more or
> less fine across a variety of Android tablets from 7" @800x480 through
> to 8.9" @1920x1080 (i.e. anything we can lay our hands on :-)

So are there images for other tablets available or planned? Can we build
ones for other hardware? I'd like to try building one for old Nook Color
I have here (currently running CyanogenMod).

>> Is the UI and preloaded apps on the tablet open sourced?
>
> Some of the preloaded apps are free software, but most are not.  Some
> elements of the UI source code are based on free software, including
> changes which have been contributed upstream where relevant, but the
> core launcher / lock screen code is not currently public and no decision
> has yet been made regarding releasing that source code.  It is my hope
> and expectation that we will be able to release source code for some or
> all of this work in due course, but I can provide no timeframe for that.

I understand full sources may take a while but even freely available
recovery images for current tablet would be good start.

Also, BTW, where are the required GPLed source bits (linux kernel,
bootloader,...) for people who might want to port something else
(android based or not) to the tablet?

Is there a SDK for android developers who want to target specific
features of XO tablet and/or add app to xo-tablet specific app store
e.g. someting similar to
https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/entries/21943338-nook-developer-start-up-guide
?

Frantisek