[Sugar-devel] Fwd: [XSCE] Re: Client side Moodle transparent auth broken in 13.2.0 stable

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Tue Aug 6 11:14:51 EDT 2013

I don't have a school server to try.
You should fill a ticket on bugs.sugarlabs.org
cced: Manuel QuiƱones, who maintain Browse activity.


On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Jerry Vonau <jerry at laptop.org.au> wrote:

> Think it's more of a question of looking for confirmation. Is anybody else
> seeing this behavior on 13.2.0-13 on XO-1s when used with any version of
> school-servers? I'm at a loss trying to explain why this is occurring to
> Anna. With the noted behavior where would you file the bug report? OLPC is
> what I'm thinking but looking if someone else might be impacted also or can
> confirm this.
> Jerry
> On 6 August 2013 05:12, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
>> There are a ticket filled?
>> Gonzalo
>> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 4:27 AM, Jerry Vonau <jerry at laptop.org.au> wrote:
>>> Great piece of deductive testing Anna, way to go. Forwarding for further
>>> investigation.
>>> Jerry
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: Anna <aschoolf at gmail.com>
>>> Date: 5 August 2013 15:02
>>> Subject: [XSCE] Re: Client side Moodle transparent auth broken in 13.2.0
>>> stable
>>> To: xsce-devel <xsce-devel at googlegroups.com>
>>> I just realized that someone will probably ask what's the most recent
>>> build where Moodle transparent auth did work.  Lucky for me, I just had to
>>> test one older.  Moodle transparent auth DOES work in 13.2.0-12.
>>> So whatever broke client side Moodle transparent auth should be confined
>>> to 13.2.0-13.
>>> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Anna <aschoolf at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> I very recently upgraded my little herd of XOs to the latest stable
>>>> build 13.2.0-13.  Unfortunately, something in that build has broken
>>>> Moodle's transparent authentication.  When a registered client goes to
>>>> http://schoolserver/moodle, all it gets is the login page.
>>>> Now, that's not unheard of, you can usually just click the "Home"
>>>> button and get automatically logged in.  But when I've seen that before,
>>>> the XO's SN is filled out in the Username field on the login page.  The
>>>> 13.2.0-13 XO doesn't show that.  No matter what you click on in the Moodle
>>>> login page, it never logs in.
>>>> To verify it was a client side issue, I flashed an XO-1 with 13.1.0
>>>> stable, and registered first to be admin.  I also registered a 13.2.0-13 as
>>>> the second client.  On the 13.1.0, I can go to the Moodle homepage and it
>>>> automatically logged me in.  I tried again to access the Moodle homepage on
>>>> the 13.2.0-13 XO-1, but yep, still just got the login page.  On the admin
>>>> XO, I went to Site Administration -> Users -> Accounts -> Browse list of
>>>> users and saw both XOs listed.  It indicated that the 13.2.0-13 client had
>>>> never logged in.
>>>> So, the user account is being created on the server for the 13.2.0-13
>>>> XO upon registration, but client side transparent authentication is not
>>>> working.
>>>> To verify the 13.2.0-13 XO's Browse Activity is accepting cookies, I
>>>> went to
>>>> http://www.bu.edu/htbin/computing/browsers/troubleshooting/cookietest.pland the test was successful.
>>>> Now, I have successfully tested Moodle transparent auth with previous
>>>> iterations of 13.2.0, perhaps 8 or 9?  So whatever change on 13.2.0 that
>>>> broke transparent auth must have been relatively recent.
>>>> I took a look at the Browse Activity version between the two clients:
>>>> 13.1.0 = Browse 149
>>>> 13.2.0-13 = Browse 149.3
>>>> I knew it wouldn't make a difference, but I also tested the 13.2.0-13
>>>> as first registration and it doesn't care that its the admin user.  And
>>>> also tested with a fresh flash to make sure there wasn't something sticky
>>>> in there from a previous registration gumming things up.
>>>> I've tested this with the XSCE installed a couple days ago
>>>> (xs-config- and the latest DXS from this morning.  I
>>>> also remembered I have an XS 0.6 (duh, Anna) and the results were the same.
>>>>  I don't have an XS 0.7 installation, but I would expect the same results.
>>>> Since this is a client side issue, I'm not sure where to go from here
>>>> as far as troubleshooting.
>>>> Anna
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Sugar-devel mailing list
>>> Sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org
>>> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/listinfo/sugar-devel
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/attachments/20130806/fc7ce633/attachment.html>

More information about the Devel mailing list