Update firmware with a custom image

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sun Apr 28 19:38:11 EDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM,  <lionel at olpc-france.org> wrote:
> I’ve created my own image using OS Builder and customized the bootloader.
>
> So I’ve got now an USB key that update the os image but I wonder if the key
> could update also the firmware version.
>
> I understand that the OS Image embed a new firmware. Is it the case?

Yes, check the packages.txt output file from olpc-os-builder, look for
the bootfw or olpc-firmware-q* package version. That firmware is
included in the image and laptops will auto-upgrade on first boot.

> Is there a way to upgrade the firmware easily from the customized
> bootloader?

It's possible, but it might be a little tricky since you would have to
put appropriate code in your olpc.fth boot script on the USB disk. For
simplicity I would stick with the OS-embedded firmware upgrade unless
that is going to be problematic.

Daniel