wiki.laptop.org Robot Spam surge

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 21:15:45 EDT 2013

I deleted over 225 robot spam pages today.  About 200 of those were
following a new page creation pattern.  Recently, the usual number of
deletions have been 30 to 50 such pages a day.  (A year ago or so, I
usually deleted about 15 spam pages a day.)

I suggest we change the wiki configuration now (before the next such
attack) to require email verification before editing for new users, at
least until we evaluate other prevention options.

With the wiki now being hosted by Gossamer Threads, who is responsible for
such configuration requests or implementation?

        --Fred