Re (2): ... GRUB and OLPC

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Apr 8 18:11:07 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 07:52:58AM -0700, peasthope at shaw.ca wrote:
> From:	Vladimir Serbinenko
> Date:	Mon, 08 Apr 2013 00:45:25 +0200
> > While it's [OFW is] still somewhat functional in qemu, it lacks
> > important drivers for modern system when booted with coreboot,
> > most notably AHCI.
>
> For sake of interest, what is qemu or coreboot needed for on an XO?

Vladimir was describing a potential method of automatic testing of
GRUB in the absence of an XO, using an emulation stack consisting of
qemu, coreboot, and Open Firmware.  This would allow the testing to be
done on almost any build machine used by the GRUB project.

But the stack didn't stand up.

Another potential method is qemu running the OLPC Open Firmware
directly, but this also doesn't stand up ... because qemu lacks
emulation support for XO.  I did think of adding it but didn't get
around to it.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/