video broken on 1.75?

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Apr 3 18:51:42 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Tom Parker <tom at carrott.org> wrote:

> On 20/03/13 14:27, Sameer Verma wrote:
>
>  I got the source from TED as a MP4 wrapper.
>> http://video.ted.com/talk/**podcast/2009/None/**
>> RennyGleeson_2009-light.mp4<http://video.ted.com/talk/podcast/2009/None/RennyGleeson_2009-light.mp4>
>>

> Interesting, the XO-1.75 with VMETA drivers plays most .mp4 videos from
> the internet as-is, but it does not play this one -- the sound stutters and
> it drops a backtrace on exit due to I think memory corruption.
>
> However http://video.ted.com/talk/**podcast/2009/None/**
> RennyGleeson_2009.mp4<http://video.ted.com/talk/podcast/2009/None/RennyGleeson_2009.mp4>plays just fine on XO-1.75 with VMETA drivers. The quality isn't great, the
> XO-1.75 could play a much higher quality version if you have the bandwidth
> and storage (and one is available).

I've tried to wget this version into /home/olpc/Documents and then run it
in jukebox via the journal. It won't play. It won't play in Browse directly
either. I suspect it has something to do with this VMETA drivers you speak
of. Does the stable image have VMETA? If not, how does one get the drivers?

Sameer

> Is your goal to get one file that plays on both XO-1 and XO-1.75? Maybe
> you could try transcoding the not-light version and see if that results in
> something that both devices can play?
>
> The goal is to play video on the 1.75, but thus far, the only video that
will play is a tiny sized ogv video in Browse (no hardware accel, I
presume).

A working solution would be great.

cheers,
Sameer