XO-1.5 graphics clock control causes instability

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 11:23:10 EDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A couple of months ago, we ran an XO-1.5 suspend/resume test outside
> of X and found that it would frequently fail to resume. Upon resume,
> the system would spontaneously reboot. No kernel messages were printed
> during the resume process over serial, only "+X" or "+r+X" which is
> OpenFirmware saying "memory contents are bad, I can't figure out how
> to resume"
>
> This was filed as #12039.
>
> Wad suggested that the most likely cause is memory rot, probably
> caused by some device accessing main memory (e.g. with DMA) while the
> CPU was asleep. This will bring the memory out of self-refresh and
> since the CPU is asleep, the memory contents would then be lost.
>
> I've investigated this and I have a workaround (accepted upstream,
> pushed for next build). Since its an odd issue and likely to bite
> again at some point, here are the details:
>
> viafb recently started tweaking the state of the primary (IGA1) and
> secondary (IGA2) clocks and PLLs (e.g. in commit b692a63af8b6).
> It is the tweaking of the clock state that causes instability. The
> clocks in question are configured by IO Port 3C5.1B ("Power Management
> Control 1"), bits 5:4 (IGA1) and 7:6 (IGA2).
>
> These clocks can be configured in 3 ways:
>  1. Always on
>  2. Always off
>  3. Clock auto on/off according to power management status (default)
> (it's not clear what the definition of "power management status" is)

I am pretty sure that the Power Management Status is referring to the
ACPI Power Management Status.  If we are setting our config to the
"auto" mode then we should probably not be disabling the clock
manually.  I would assume that the hardware should disable the clock
properly depending on the ACPI state it is put into.  We should
probably have this wrapped around an ifdef CONFIG_ACPI or
something like that.