Using ext4 usb drive to go to 13.1.0

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Sep 23 20:55:28 EDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 09:28:12 +1000,
   James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>G'day Bruno,
>
>Thank you for your problem report.  It is interesting.

I updated the trac ticket with most of what was requested.

>The install method hasn't changed.  Our development builds are
>installed using fs-update rather than the zsp file and holding four
>game keys down.  Once 13.1.0 is released, the method will be the same
>as before.

When going to 12.1.0 I held down the four buttons above the power switch
while booting. When going to 13.1.0 I used fs-update. I was going by the
instructions on the wiki for doing the updates.

>When you upgraded your XO-1.75 to 12.1.0 an old version of Open
>Firmware might have been present.  After the upgrade, the next time
>you had two sources of power, Open Firmware would have been upgraded.

I also didn't have two sources of power when I did the fs-update to 13.1.0,
so maybe that's why the open firmware is still at Q4D17.

>a.  what version of Open Firmware was on the XO-1.75 before the
>upgrade to 12.1.0?  I cannot guess what this was.

I don't know, but probably whatever you were shipping with the devices
a few weeks ago. Mine shipped shortly before 12.1.0 was released.

>b.  what version of Open Firmware was on the XO-1.75 at the time of
>the problem in ticket #12123?  I expect it was Q4D17 as this was
>12.1.0 build 21 contained.

I can reproduce the issue on Q4D17.

>c.  what version of Open Firmware is on the XO-1.75 after the upgrade
>to 13.1.0?  I expect it will be Q4D21.

It is still Q4D17.

>d.  if you downgrade to the version of Open Firmware you had before
>the upgrade to 12.1.0, and then try the fs-update for 13.1.0, does the
>problem in ticket #12123 occur?

I can't refer to u: successfully if I don't plug in the drive after booting.

>e.  on Q4D21 please attach the USB drive, turn on the laptop,
>get to the ok prompt, type p2, and tell me what is printed.

I haven't got Q4D21 yet, so I can't do these tests just yet.

>f.  on Q4D21 please detach the USB drive, turn on the laptop, get to
>the ok prompt, type p2, and tell me what is printed.
>
>g.  on Q4D21 please attach the USB drive, turn on the laptop, get to
>the ok prompt, type

There were differences for the p2 command under Q4D17 depending on whether
the drive was plugged in before or after boot.

>2. the drive must spin up and become ready (if it is a mechanical
>drive this can take some seconds),

In my case it's a flash drive. (I reformtted it to ext4.)