Removing duplication in /boot - affects kernel development

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Sep 10 19:30:56 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to renew this thread, since we didn't get a great amount of
> feedback last time. Also, one of the issues mentioned (but a little
> downplayed) is the significance of removing the firmware updating code
> from olpc.fth. Having stale code duplicated from the firmware in
> olpc.fth bit us today with XO-4 development; the approach implemented
> below would have avoided this problem. It would be nice if we could
> land this before it bites again.
>
> So, CCing various kernel developers, as this does affect kernel
> development patterns a little. Will anyone be upset by the changes
> proposed here?

Thanks for the feedback. I've gone ahead and made this change for the
next 13.1.0 build: x86-3.3 and arm-3.0-wip include the new olpc.fth,
olpc-os-builder only ships the zipped kernel/initramfs variant (either
signed or unsigned), and olpc-utils now includes olpc-dev-kernel as
described (plus Paul's earlier suggestion).

Daniel