[Sugar-devel] NPR story on OLPC in Peru

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 11:37:48 EDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> One Child, One Laptop ... And Mixed Results In Peru
>
> http://tinyurl.com/93dpnln
> http://www.npr.org/2012/10/13/162719126/one-child-one-laptop-and-mixed-results
> -in-peru
>
> Five years ago, Peru plunked down $200 million on more than 800,000 low-cost
> laptops to distribute to schoolchildren. The purchase was part of the global
> One Laptop Per Child initiative that aimed to end poverty with computers.
>
> But now there are a lot of questions about how successful Peru's effort has
> been, especially in rural areas like the village of Lacachi.

The journalist revealed her perspective on learning -- the reason the
laptops were deployed -- with her closing assertion: the reason people
have computers is to access the Internet. We went in knowing that
providing Internet access was going to require a long-term commitment,
but some of us also believe -- and have seen evidence -- there is
value in computing above and beyond surfing.

regards.

-walter

> --
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.