3G USB Dongle usage

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Oct 9 22:33:42 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 07:40:30AM +0530, RJV wrote:
> I think there is a mobile like icon that showed up after switching
> back to Sugar aside from the Connected round icon because when I
> removed the usb, the icon vanished so probably that icon has a
> Connect option.

That is the icon I was speaking about earlier, for starting connection
while in Sugar.  It looks like a mobile because that's how the first
modems began.  A 3G USB modem is like a mobile but without battery,
keypad, display, speaker, or microphone.

> > Certain adapters are supported by OLPC OS.  I don't have the list
> > handy.
>
> Thanks, I will send you the list if I find it while using the
> feature.

I suspect a list may be on our Wiki, but I'm not sure.  Devices that
require the usbvga kernel driver appear to be supported, but the
release notes for 11.3.1 and 12.1.0 say that it does not yet work on
the XO-1.75.

> I checked under My Settings, the display device option is not there
> maybe I saw it in the GNOME menu somewhere.

I do not recall a display device option in Sugar.  You will probably
need an external device before you look for configuration options.

> Btw, after the SD card mishap, the GNOME desktop look has
> changed. Does this mean that I should perform a software update for
> GNOME, too, to restore it to factory settings?

I can't answer that without more detail about your alleged mishap.

All I have is the start of a thread saying that an .rpm file on an SD
card crashed the laptop somehow, but your post was really short on
detail.  I would need to know:

- what OLPC OS version you are using,

- what .rpm file was on the SD card,

- what you mean by "crashes"; what are the observations?

To restore to factory settings for the operating system, use the
installation method for the selected version.  For instance, to
install 12.1.0 on XO-1.75, follow these instructions:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/12.1.0/Installation/XO-1.75

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/