Linux 3.7 Kernel To Support Multiple ARM Platforms - Slashdot

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at
Fri Oct 5 15:38:15 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 1:45 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at> wrote:
> It supports basically 3 usable platforms at the moment, and likely not

In summary... first step in a longish road. All ARM SoCs are quirky
and non-discoverable (no PnP-style bus architecture). The path leads
to a generic kernel that can read a list of "known platforms", each of
those with its quirks and configurations listed.

The configuration-and-quirks facilty is known as "DeviceTree".

We are definitely working hard in that direction, all our new kernel
code is DT-based, and non-DT stuff is getting cleaned up and adapted.

 martin.langhoff at
 martin at -- Software Architect - OLPC