gathering use cases

Tony Anderson tony at olenepal.org
Fri Nov 9 12:16:11 EST 2012

Hi,

A server provides services to client computers. These services enable
and shape the interaction of users with the client. For example, web
pages are delivered to the user by a browser. However, the web pages are
delivered to the browser by a service on the server side, e.g. Apache.

Suppose that a deployment wants email capability (a use case). The
standard server side service is pop3 and smtp. Thunderbird is a possible
client-side application for these services.
Most discussions on the lists are based on direct login to gmail which
does not requires only httpd (Apache) on the server side. However, this
means that email access only when the XO is connected to the internet. A
client-side email client could enable email to be prepared offline and
to be read offline. How would email capability be provided by
sneaker-net with a usb drive, e.g. for someone to periodically take the
usb key to an internet cafe and send/receive email?

Tony